There are several factors that you should consider when choosing your North Shore neighborhood. From home pricing to the individual communities, every one of the North Shore suburbs has something unique to bring to the table. Before you go off and set your heart on just one of these many communities, take a second to consider these five things. We can almost guarantee that if you follow these five steps, you will find the perfect neighborhood in Chicago’s North Shore that will fit your needs.
- Profile your perfect neighborhood. Before you start your North Shore home search, you’re going to want to turn the magnifying glass back on yourself and know the answers to some of these questions. Do you have children? Do you want to have them, if you don’t have any? What kind of home do you want? What is the commute like from your job? Do you want to be in a historic neighborhood, or one that is more modern? What don’t you want in a neighborhood? Knowing the answers to these questions in advance will help you narrow the scope when you start searching the many communities in Chicago’s North Shore.
- Zero in on one area. Once you pick your dream North Shore neighborhood, you will want to figure out what part of that town you want to live in. Would you rather live in close proximity to the high school, or closer to the local country club? Taking the time to get to know the area you’d most be interested in living in can help your home search go much faster, and it will guarantee your happiness in the long run.
- Check out the numbers. Now that you have an area or specific city in mind, you can start learning more about the area. What are the schools like? How many parks are in the area? What is there to do around town? Any good restaurants? Believe it or not, looking at the local businesses in the area you’re interested in can give you a good idea of the overall flavor of the town. It’s a great way to see if you would “fit in” in that particular area.
- Start visiting the neighborhoods that seem like the best fit. You can do all the research in the world, but nothing will seem right until you see the area in person. Can you visualize yourself in that neighborhood, once you’re there? How are the local schools? What happens in that neighborhood during different times of the day? These are all factors to consider when you go visit the North Shore community you could potentially live in.
- Find the house you love, but can still afford. Now that you’ve chosen the neighborhood, it’s time to look at the specific streets you would want to live on, and which houses are on the market on that street. Chances are, if you love the neighborhood, you’ll find a house you’ll love too. Just know your affordability and start your search!
There you have it! This fool-proof guide to finding the perfect North Shore community for your next home will help your home search go much faster. As North Shore real estate agents, we take pride in the fact that we have helped many families find their dream home in one of the many communities Chicago has to offer. If you’re interested in buying a home on the North Shore this summer, don’t hesitate to contact us. We would be happy to help you find the perfect neighborhood for you and show you all of the best North Shore homes on the market.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Thomas Team
Chicago's #1 Real Estate Brokerage
Chicago & North Shore Real Estate
Visit Our Website
View Our Listings