Selling your Evanston home can seem like an overwhelming process in the midst of this current buyer’s market. You want to do everything you can to help it stand out from the competition and it can seem like getting your home sold all on your shoulders.
As Evanston Real Estate agents, we know the pressure a seller feels. Our goal is to make the seller feel as relaxed as possible as we handle all the details that go into selling an Evanston home. While it can feel nerve-wracking to let go and allow us to handle the sale of your home; it’s important to remember that our expertise in the Evanston Real Estate market is going to help the process run smoothly.
A great way to highlight all that your home has to offer is through an open house where buyers can get a up close and personal sense of your home. Since open houses can be pivotal to the sale of your home, we thought we’d give you six great tips for hosting a successful open house in your Evanston home!
1. First Impressions- Believe it or not, a nice doormat or attractive porch can really set the tone for the entire open house. If there’s an old doormat, chipped paint or nothing special about the entrance to your home, buyers may feel that you don’t really care. A welcoming setting from the start will instantly let buyers know that your home is well-maintained and that each area of your home is cared for.
2. Make it Generic- It’s great to make your home personal; however your pictures, children’s art or your “to do” list on the refrigerator can be a large distraction to potential buyers. They need to be able to envision themselves in your home, so putting away those personal items will help buyers picture their life in your Evanston home.
3. Clear Counters- Look at your kitchen or bathroom counters from a outsiders viewpoint. Do you have too many appliances cluttering your kitchen counter? Clearing this space will make there appear to be more room for cooking or their own storage. If your bathroom counters are filled with perfumes, toothbrush holders, etc… take time to put them in cabinets or drawers so buyers can see the actual size of the space.
4. Set the Table- This may not seem necessary, but having your dining room table set with nice place settings add a touch of class and can help the Evanston buyer envision hosting their own dinner parties.
5. Get to the Heart- The best way to appeal to the buyers’ heart is through offering something special when they walk in the door. Whether you bake fresh cookies or have coffee for them on your counter; these added touches will set your home apart. Lighting a mildly scented candle and having your home appropriately heated for the day’s weather can make your home instantly feel comfortable to the Evanston buyer.
6. Don’t Stick Around- While it may be tempting to want to hear what the potential buyers have to say, it can be awkward when the seller is present. They will feel that they can’t openly express their thoughts to the agent and will not feel as comfortable when looking throughout the home. Even if you take a walk through the neighborhood, being away from the home during an open house can make all the difference.
We hope that these tips will help provide the atmosphere needed to make a buyer fall in love with your home. As always, we’re here to help and would enjoy the opportunity to talk with you about selling your Evanston home.
Please feel free to contact us today to get started!
The Thomas Team
Chicago's #1 Real Estate Brokerage